Man denies theft from elderly kinSTAFF REPORT | February 07,2014BARRE — A Cabot man has denied stealing $200 from his 101-year-old great-grandmother.
Richard D. Atkinson, 26, pleaded not guilty Thursday in Washington County criminal court in Barre to one count of felony larceny from a person.
If convicted, he faces a maximum of 10 years in prison and a $500 fine.
According to a Vermont State Police affidavit, troopers responded to the larceny report in Worcester on Oct. 26. Madeline Bador told state police she awoke to find Atkinson in her house. Bador told state police Atkinson asked to borrow $10, and when she pulled out her money he took it all and ran out the door.
She told police it was not the first time Atkinson had done such a thing.
Police say they looked for a month for Atkinson and eventually found him hiding in a closet when they were told he was seen at a residence on Webster Street in Barre.
When state police interviewed Atkinson, they say, he said he could not remember where he was the night of the incident and was not sure when the last time was he saw his great-grandmother.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.