Man denies theft from elderly kinSTAFF REPORT | February 07,2014BARRE — A Cabot man has denied stealing $200 from his 101-year-old great-grandmother.
Richard D. Atkinson, 26, pleaded not guilty Thursday in Washington County criminal court in Barre to one count of felony larceny from a person.
If convicted, he faces a maximum of 10 years in prison and a $500 fine.
According to a Vermont State Police affidavit, troopers responded to the larceny report in Worcester on Oct. 26. Madeline Bador told state police she awoke to find Atkinson in her house. Bador told state police Atkinson asked to borrow $10, and when she pulled out her money he took it all and ran out the door.
She told police it was not the first time Atkinson had done such a thing.
Police say they looked for a month for Atkinson and eventually found him hiding in a closet when they were told he was seen at a residence on Webster Street in Barre.
When state police interviewed Atkinson, they say, he said he could not remember where he was the night of the incident and was not sure when the last time was he saw his great-grandmother.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.