Man denies theft from elderly kinSTAFF REPORT | February 07,2014BARRE — A Cabot man has denied stealing $200 from his 101-year-old great-grandmother.
Richard D. Atkinson, 26, pleaded not guilty Thursday in Washington County criminal court in Barre to one count of felony larceny from a person.
If convicted, he faces a maximum of 10 years in prison and a $500 fine.
According to a Vermont State Police affidavit, troopers responded to the larceny report in Worcester on Oct. 26. Madeline Bador told state police she awoke to find Atkinson in her house. Bador told state police Atkinson asked to borrow $10, and when she pulled out her money he took it all and ran out the door.
She told police it was not the first time Atkinson had done such a thing.
Police say they looked for a month for Atkinson and eventually found him hiding in a closet when they were told he was seen at a residence on Webster Street in Barre.
When state police interviewed Atkinson, they say, he said he could not remember where he was the night of the incident and was not sure when the last time was he saw his great-grandmother.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.