Sting sales send crack seller to jailFebruary 15,2014WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Springfield man is heading to jail for selling crack cocaine.
William Aviles, 36, pleaded guilty Thursday in White River Junction criminal court to a felony count of cocaine sales. He was sentenced to two to four years in jail. The judge also recommended that Aviles participate in the state Department of Corrections’ work camp program which could result in less time behind bars.
In May, police said a confidential informant told them about buying drugs from Aviles “for numerous years” and offered to cooperate.
Court records stated that on two occasions that month detectives watched as the informant went to Aviles’ home. The informant met Aviles at his door and then they walked to Aviles’ garage. Each time the informant purchased two grams of crack cocaine rocks at a price of $100 per gram, according to court records.
Aviles was arraigned on the felony sail of cocaine charge in June.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: On Jan. 31, 2002, Berkshire Armored Car Co. in Rutland's Howe Center was robbed of $1.9 million. Brent Curtis reports some of the surprising details he found in 10 years of FBI investigation files in a 5-part Herald series.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1835, deranged house painter attempts to kill Pres. Andrew Jackson; in 1969, Beatles play last live public performance on roof of Apple Corps building, London; in 1935, poet Richard Brautigan born in Tacoma, Washington.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Maple syrup standards revised to match international standards; city must decide how best to use $300K in leftover sewer project money; Bryanna Allen reports on funding proposal for solar projects; local agency gets HUD money.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1393, quick thinking teen girl saves King Charles IV of France from burning alive at masquerade ball; in 1760, Vermont town of Pownal created by N.H. Gov. Benning Wentworth; Canuplin, Filipino movie star, born.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day, 1700, Cascadia Earthquake, Magnitude 9 plus, strikes West Coast with tsunami effects felt as far away as Japan; in 1885, troops loyal to Sudanese Mohammad Ahmad conquer Khartoum; in 1992, Boris Yeltsin untargets U.S.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 971 AD, Southern Han war elephant corps defeated by Song Dynasty troops bowmen; in 1870, Montana, Marias massacre, U.S. kills 173 Native Americans; in 1941, Charles Lindbergh recommends neutrality pact with Nazis.