Sting sales send crack seller to jailFebruary 15,2014WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Springfield man is heading to jail for selling crack cocaine.
William Aviles, 36, pleaded guilty Thursday in White River Junction criminal court to a felony count of cocaine sales. He was sentenced to two to four years in jail. The judge also recommended that Aviles participate in the state Department of Corrections’ work camp program which could result in less time behind bars.
In May, police said a confidential informant told them about buying drugs from Aviles “for numerous years” and offered to cooperate.
Court records stated that on two occasions that month detectives watched as the informant went to Aviles’ home. The informant met Aviles at his door and then they walked to Aviles’ garage. Each time the informant purchased two grams of crack cocaine rocks at a price of $100 per gram, according to court records.
Aviles was arraigned on the felony sail of cocaine charge in June.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Highway Trust Fund bill passage Vt. projects are moving forward, about 20 state inmates are seeking clemency through new federal standards and search is on to find temporary member for State Colleges Board of Trustees.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.