Sting sales send crack seller to jailFebruary 15,2014WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Springfield man is heading to jail for selling crack cocaine.
William Aviles, 36, pleaded guilty Thursday in White River Junction criminal court to a felony count of cocaine sales. He was sentenced to two to four years in jail. The judge also recommended that Aviles participate in the state Department of Corrections’ work camp program which could result in less time behind bars.
In May, police said a confidential informant told them about buying drugs from Aviles “for numerous years” and offered to cooperate.
Court records stated that on two occasions that month detectives watched as the informant went to Aviles’ home. The informant met Aviles at his door and then they walked to Aviles’ garage. Each time the informant purchased two grams of crack cocaine rocks at a price of $100 per gram, according to court records.
Aviles was arraigned on the felony sail of cocaine charge in June.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.