Sting sales send crack seller to jailFebruary 15,2014WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Springfield man is heading to jail for selling crack cocaine.
William Aviles, 36, pleaded guilty Thursday in White River Junction criminal court to a felony count of cocaine sales. He was sentenced to two to four years in jail. The judge also recommended that Aviles participate in the state Department of Corrections’ work camp program which could result in less time behind bars.
In May, police said a confidential informant told them about buying drugs from Aviles “for numerous years” and offered to cooperate.
Court records stated that on two occasions that month detectives watched as the informant went to Aviles’ home. The informant met Aviles at his door and then they walked to Aviles’ garage. Each time the informant purchased two grams of crack cocaine rocks at a price of $100 per gram, according to court records.
Aviles was arraigned on the felony sail of cocaine charge in June.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.