Arrest made in toddler's deathFebruary 23,2014Police photo
Dennis DubyPolice arrested Dennis Duby, 31, of Poultney on Saturday night and charged him with 2nd degree murder in the death of 2-year-old Dezirae Sheldon. Duby is the girl's stepfather, according to police.
Sheldon died Friday at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire, and after an autopsy by the New Hampshire Medical Examiner's Office, investigators learned that the preliminary autopsy revealed that the cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head and manner of death was homicide.
Duby was lodged for lack of $250,000 bail at the Rutland jail, and is scheduled to be arraigned Monday in Rutland Criminal Court.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.