Arrest made in toddler's deathFebruary 23,2014Police photo
Dennis DubyPolice arrested Dennis Duby, 31, of Poultney on Saturday night and charged him with 2nd degree murder in the death of 2-year-old Dezirae Sheldon. Duby is the girl's stepfather, according to police.
Sheldon died Friday at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire, and after an autopsy by the New Hampshire Medical Examiner's Office, investigators learned that the preliminary autopsy revealed that the cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head and manner of death was homicide.
Duby was lodged for lack of $250,000 bail at the Rutland jail, and is scheduled to be arraigned Monday in Rutland Criminal Court.MORE IN This Just InWESTON Remember your most embarrassing moments around your high school graduation? If not, The... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Jim Jeffords' legacy, Brandon takes a few questions about proposed budget, beleaguered city playground likely to move, woman awakes to find strange man with knives standing at her bedside.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Former U.S. Senator James Jeffords dies Monday in Washington D.C., a local man is beaten and robbed while walking on West Street, Clarendon sets a tax rate and Brandon convenes an informational public meeting about its budget.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1915, the New York World publishes scoop: Thom. Edison diverts chemical from war production to help German pharmaceutical company make aspirin; on this day in 1935, Will Rogers, Wiley Post die in Alaska plane crash.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State panel briefed on smuggling drugs into prisons; new French-German documentary about Vermont's heroin addiction; solar project at Vets Home falls apart; update dispute between Open Door Mission and treatment center.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Climatologists might not know as much about El Nino as they thought they knew. New studies show 10,000 years ago, El Nino was active, and polar ice sheets were rapidly melting — just like today.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: State colleges get a budget cut break, vandals spray paint Wallingford basketball court, state's attorney will replace lost deputies, cop lawsuit proceeds, Mendon mini-golf proposal makes headway.