Vote for the Center
Since 1998, the Castleton Community Center (The Old Homestead) has provided programs and services to help improve the quality of life for residents of western Rutland County. The Center helps seniors and disabled residents remain independent. Over 4,800 rides were given last year for doctor’s appointments, nursing home visits, adult day care, therapy, food shopping and senior meals. In addition, over 1,400 meals were served in our dining room to seniors from Castleton, Fair Haven, Hubbardton and surrounding towns.
The Center offers health and fitness education, a walking trail and exercise programs to promote healthy living. Educational and recreational activities keep our seniors active and help improve the quality of life for them and their families. Our summer camp for children provides stimulating educational and recreational activities for children when school is not in session.
The Castleton Community Center does not receive United Way funding. The Center is supported through town appropriations, grants, fund raising special events and the hard work of our members and volunteers.
Castleton, Hubbardton and Fair Haven residents, please vote yes to support the valuable programs and services offered by the Castleton Community Center at the polls Tuesday, March 4. If you need a ride to the polls call The Center at 468-3093.
JO ANN RILEY
CastletonMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.