Man charged for hitting tree, blocking trafficFebruary 24,2014Police: Driver hits
tree, blocks traffic
POWNAL — A local driver is facing criminal and civil actions after allegedly hitting a tree that fell and blocked traffic.
Danny Briggs, 42, is scheduled to appear March 31 in Bennington criminal court to answer a charge of leaving the scene of a crash. According to state police, at approximately 12:30 a.m. Saturday, Briggs was driving on Middle Pownal Road near Horseshoe Lane when he hit a patch of ice and lost control of his 1996 Subaru Impreza, which went off the east side of the road and struck a tree.
According to police, the tree fell across the road and blocked traffic in both directions. Police said Briggs left the scene and could not be located until the following day. Briggs was not injured, but his car sustained extensive front-end damage, according to police.
In addition to the criminal charge, Briggs was issued citations for numerous civil violations.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.