Man charged for hitting tree, blocking trafficFebruary 24,2014Police: Driver hits
tree, blocks traffic
POWNAL ó A local driver is facing criminal and civil actions after allegedly hitting a tree that fell and blocked traffic.
Danny Briggs, 42, is scheduled to appear March 31 in Bennington criminal court to answer a charge of leaving the scene of a crash. According to state police, at approximately 12:30 a.m. Saturday, Briggs was driving on Middle Pownal Road near Horseshoe Lane when he hit a patch of ice and lost control of his 1996 Subaru Impreza, which went off the east side of the road and struck a tree.
According to police, the tree fell across the road and blocked traffic in both directions. Police said Briggs left the scene and could not be located until the following day. Briggs was not injured, but his car sustained extensive front-end damage, according to police.
In addition to the criminal charge, Briggs was issued citations for numerous civil violations.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.