Man charged for hitting tree, blocking trafficFebruary 24,2014Police: Driver hits
tree, blocks traffic
POWNAL — A local driver is facing criminal and civil actions after allegedly hitting a tree that fell and blocked traffic.
Danny Briggs, 42, is scheduled to appear March 31 in Bennington criminal court to answer a charge of leaving the scene of a crash. According to state police, at approximately 12:30 a.m. Saturday, Briggs was driving on Middle Pownal Road near Horseshoe Lane when he hit a patch of ice and lost control of his 1996 Subaru Impreza, which went off the east side of the road and struck a tree.
According to police, the tree fell across the road and blocked traffic in both directions. Police said Briggs left the scene and could not be located until the following day. Briggs was not injured, but his car sustained extensive front-end damage, according to police.
In addition to the criminal charge, Briggs was issued citations for numerous civil violations.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.