Fire breaks out at Flory's PlazaMarch 09,2014Anthony Edwards / Staff Photo
Firefighters arrive on scene to battle a smokey blaze at the site of a former motel at Flory's Plaza.Staff Report
A structure broke out at Flory's Plaza, the site of the former motel, at about 4:30 p.m.
Several fire crews have been called to the scene including Rutland Town, Proctor and West Rutland. Tanker trucks from towns including Castleton, Chittenden, Ira and Wallingford, have also been called to provide water at the scene.
Rutland Town police closed Route 4A in Center Rutland between Simmons Avenue and West Proctor Road on Sunday afternoon as crews battled the blaze. Motorists were advised to take an alternate route.
We will bring you more information as it becomes available.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.