Fire breaks out at Flory's PlazaMarch 09,2014Anthony Edwards / Staff Photo
Firefighters arrive on scene to battle a smokey blaze at the site of a former motel at Flory's Plaza.Staff Report
A structure broke out at Flory's Plaza, the site of the former motel, at about 4:30 p.m.
Several fire crews have been called to the scene including Rutland Town, Proctor and West Rutland. Tanker trucks from towns including Castleton, Chittenden, Ira and Wallingford, have also been called to provide water at the scene.
Rutland Town police closed Route 4A in Center Rutland between Simmons Avenue and West Proctor Road on Sunday afternoon as crews battled the blaze. Motorists were advised to take an alternate route.
We will bring you more information as it becomes available.MORE IN This Just InHalloween is here and with it comes the excuse to binge on candy corn until you enter a... Full StoryWhen the building on West Street formerly home to a bar called “The Office” received ... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.