Teen admits to hitting gym teacher during classMarch 11,2014Teen pleads in
BENNINGTON — A Mount Anthony Union High School student will go before the reparative board after admitting in Bennington criminal court Monday to hitting her gym teacher in the face Jan. 10 because the teacher was “pushing her buttons.”
Jackalyn Shartrand, 17, pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of simple assault Monday after a lengthy discussion with Judge Nancy Corsones. The judge said she wanted to be sure, because of Shartrand’s age and because she declined to work with a lawyer, that Shartrand understood the consequences of her plea.
In an affidavit, Cpl. Gray Harrington, of the Bennington County Sheriff’s Department, said he had investigated an allegation Jan. 10 that Shartrand had hit Lorrie Carra, her physical education teacher.
In a written statement, Carra said she had confronted four students, including Shartrand, about being tardy to her class that day and on previous days.
Carra said the situation escalated during the duration of that day’s class until she sent Shartrand to the principal’s office for allegedly being “loud and disrespectful.” Carra said Shartrand then hit her in the mouth and began to yell obscenities at her.
Harrington said the incident happened in front of a class of 40 students.
Shartrand and her mother, Stacey Shartrand, came to the sheriff’s department Jan. 12, Harrington said.
The teen admitted that she hit the gym teacher. She said Carra has “always disliked her” and called her “stupid” that day. She also accused Carra of “pushing her buttons.”
If Shartrand successfully completes the reparative board, the charge will be removed from her record.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?