According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there currently are an estimated 82,000 smokers in this state. Almost 17 percent of the population 18 and older smoke. Of the 50 states, Vermont ranks 13th; unlike golf, the higher number, the better.
Only 6.5 percent of those 65 and older smoke; it could be the other 10 percent passed away before age 65, or with age brings wisdom. Twenty-two percent of 18- to 24-year-olds smoke. The state collects approximately $72 million each year in cigarette taxes. Do the math and follow the money, the anti-smoking bill was struck down because the state would have to find another source of income to replace the new nonsmokers and that is a sad commentary.
RutlandMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.