The RRPC is collecting flood resiliency data.March 26,2014RRPC will gather
regional flood data
The Rutland Regional Planning Commission will begin to collect flood data for the Rutland region.
The work will focus on Act 16, which requires a “Flood Resilience Element” to be included municipal and regional plans.
The RRPC will consult with the state Rivers Program to research flood hazards in Vermont to develop a flood resilience element for its regional plan. The RRPC will also work with all 27 municipalities in the region to complete a flood resilience plan checklist.
This preliminary checklist provides a menu of steps that could be taken to improve flood resiliency and is intended to help a municipality get started in a self-assessment. The RRPC will also hold a training workshop to inform local officials about flood resiliency.
Towns may use the study results in identifying vulnerable areas and to enhance their basic emergency plans, hazard mitigation plans and town plans. The RRPC will integrate the results into the regional plan.
The project is funded by federal Clean Water Act.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.