Author lectures on Viking cultureMarch 26,2014Author lectures on Viking culture
CASTLETON — A lecture on Viking culture and old Norse society will be held Thursday at Castleton State College.
The free lecture is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. in Herrick Auditorium.
Author Nancy Marie Brown will discuss the role of women in the old Norse society, archeology as a tool in interpreting historical narrative, the environmental impacts of Norse settlement, Iceland’s Snorri Sturluson and the preservation of Norse mythology.
Brown has more than 30 years of experience as a writer and editor.
Her works include: “The Far Traveler: Voyages of Viking Women”and the more recent “Song of the Vikings: Snorri and the Making of Norse Myths.”
For more information, contact the Fine Arts Center box office at 468-1119.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.