Police: Man failed to register as offenderMarch 26,2014Cops: Man failed to
register as offender
A man convicted in 1999 in Bennington of sexual assault on a minor is behind bars on a charge of failing to register as a sex offender.
Jeremy Smith, 36, who until recently had lived in Troy, N.Y., pleaded innocent last week in federal court in Burlington to the charge, according to a press release from the U.S. attorney’s office. Smith was ordered jailed pending a trial, which has not been scheduled.
According to court records, Smith’s 1999 conviction in Bennington required him to register as a sex offender in any state where he resides or moves to. In early 2011, after being released from prison in Vermont, Smith moved to New York, records stated.
However, he did not register as a sex offender with New York officials, according to court records.
A federal grand jury in Rutland returned an indictment last month charging Smith with failing to register, and he was arrested by the U.S. Marshals Service in South Carolina on Feb. 21. He has been jailed since his arrest.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.