Police: Man failed to register as offenderMarch 26,2014Cops: Man failed to
register as offender
A man convicted in 1999 in Bennington of sexual assault on a minor is behind bars on a charge of failing to register as a sex offender.
Jeremy Smith, 36, who until recently had lived in Troy, N.Y., pleaded innocent last week in federal court in Burlington to the charge, according to a press release from the U.S. attorney’s office. Smith was ordered jailed pending a trial, which has not been scheduled.
According to court records, Smith’s 1999 conviction in Bennington required him to register as a sex offender in any state where he resides or moves to. In early 2011, after being released from prison in Vermont, Smith moved to New York, records stated.
However, he did not register as a sex offender with New York officials, according to court records.
A federal grand jury in Rutland returned an indictment last month charging Smith with failing to register, and he was arrested by the U.S. Marshals Service in South Carolina on Feb. 21. He has been jailed since his arrest.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.