Man accused of ID theftMarch 29,2014Man accused of
BENNINGTON ó A local man is facing four felony charges and five misdemeanors after police said he withdrew $300 from the account of a neighbor who had let the man use his debit card.
Christopher J. Hope Jr., of Bennington, pleaded innocent Monday to four felony charge of identity theft, four misdemeanor charges of using false tokens and one misdemeanor charge of giving false information to police in order to implicate another person.
Hope was released without bail.
In an affidavit, Bennington Police Officer Lawrence Cole said he met with Richard Danforth, of Bennington, on Jan. 13. Danforth said he had accidentally stepped on Hopeís phone in mid-December.
To pay for the damage, Danforth said he gave Hope his bank debit card and password on Jan. 7. Hope was told he could take $20 from the account.
Instead, according to Cole, Hope made four withdrawals which totaled $300. Cole pointed out none of the withdrawals were for $20. Cole said he saw the video-recordings made by the automated teller machine and recognized Hope.
Cole said he spoke to Hope on Jan. 14. According to Cole, Hope said Danforth had given him the debit card and password, told him to withdraw as much money as possible, keep $20 and give the rest to Danforth. Hope told Cole thatís what he did.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.