Police: Man drove 101 in 55 mph zoneMarch 29,2014Police: Man
drove 101 mph
BENNINGTON — A Cold Spring, N.Y., man is facing criminal charges after police said he drove 101 mph in a 55-mph zone in Shaftsbury.
Jay Philippi, 32, pleaded innocent Monday in Bennington District Court to misdemeanor charges of negligent driving and driving at excessive speeds. Philippi was released without bail.
In an affidavit, Trooper Justin Walker, of the Vermont State Police, said he was on patrol on Route 7 in Shaftsbury on Feb. 15 around 4:40 p.m. Walker said that the highway was slippery at the time because it was covered with snow and slush.
Walker said he noticed a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which Philippi is accused of driving, was going fast. He said he checked the speed by radar four times and noted the speeds registered were 101 mph, 101 mph, 100 mph and 96 mph.
Walker said that Philippi told him, after the trooper initiated a traffic stop, that he and a friend were returning from skiing and he didn’t know how fast he had been driving.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.