FORT MYERS, Fla. — Josh Willingham finally hit his first home run of the spring in Minnesota’s exhibition finale, and the Twins beat the Boston Red Sox 7-4 on Saturday.
The game was called because of rain with two outs in the top of the ninth inning.
Mike Napoli went 2 for 2 with a home run and three RBIs for the Red Sox. Jake Peavy, making his third Grapefruit League start, gave up one run and three hits in five innings. He walked one and struck out three.
Peavy in on schedule to start the Red Sox home opener on Friday.
Mike Pelfrey went four innings for Minnesota in his sixth start of the spring. He allowed four runs on five hits and three walks.
Boston left-hander Tommy Layne gave up five runs on two homers in the seventh.MORE IN Wire SportsARLINGTON, Texas — Texas Rangers ace Yu Darvish could only smile after Brett Gardner homered off ... Full StoryBOSTON — Melky Cabrera’s second homer sailed over the left field wall and smashed a car window... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.