Vermont’s Sanders eyes president bid, heads to NHApril 08,2014The Associated Press
BOSTON — U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders is set to appear in New Hampshire this weekend as he weighs a run for president.
The two-term Vermont independent has two events scheduled Saturday, including a stop at the Institute of Politics at St. Anselm College in Manchester, N.H. The institute is a regular stop for politicians on the state’s presidential primary circuit.
New Hampshire traditionally hosts the nation’s first presidential primary. Prospective Republican candidates have been visiting for months ahead of the 2016 contest.
Things have been quieter on the Democratic side. Former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton is considered the overwhelming front-runner, should she choose to run.
Sanders hasn’t said whether he would run as a Democrat or independent. He’s particularly focused on liberal priorities such as economic inequality and global warming.MORE IN This Just InA business development study recommends replacing "shop locally" with "you can find it here." Full StorySaturday's women's basketball game between College of St. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.