Electrical strip sparks Brattleboro blazeApril 08,2014BRATTLEBORO — Investigators are blaming an overheated electrical strip for sparking a weekend blaze that damaged one of four apartments in a 2½-story multifamily house.
Local firefighters, responding to an alarm at 8 p.m. Saturday, found flames coming from a second-floor apartment at 119 Green St. in the center of town.
The blaze, contained to one apartment and causing extensive fire and heat damage, was declared under control within 45 minutes.
All occupants escaped safely and no firefighters were injured, Fire Chief Michael Bucossi said.
The building is just up the street from another apartment house that caught fire earlier this winter and is owned by local landlord Bob Remy-Powers, who lost another rental property on nearby Elliot Street last fall.MORE IN This Just InBENNINGTON — Just short of meeting its 50th anniversary, the Bennington Car Show has been... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.