3rd suspect in killing of grandmother due in courtApril 10,2014The Associated Press
ST. JOHNSBURY -- The third suspect charged in the kidnapping and killing of a Sheffield grandmother is due in a Vermont courtroom.
Michael Norrie, 23, was returned to Vermont on Wednesday from a federal prison in Pennsylvania. He's due to appear in Superior Court in St. Johnsbury Thursday.
Norrie is facing charges of first-degree murder and other offenses stemming from the September 2010 abduction and killing of 78-year-old Pat O'Hagan.
Last month, two of Norrie's cousins, 33-year-old Keith Baird and 27-year-old Richard Fletcher, pleaded not guilty to charges from the same case.
Police affidavits say O'Hagan was shot in the back of the head with a stolen pistol.
Before being charged in the O'Hagan case, all three suspects were in state or federal prison on other charges.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.