3rd suspect in killing of grandmother due in courtApril 10,2014The Associated Press
ST. JOHNSBURY -- The third suspect charged in the kidnapping and killing of a Sheffield grandmother is due in a Vermont courtroom.
Michael Norrie, 23, was returned to Vermont on Wednesday from a federal prison in Pennsylvania. He's due to appear in Superior Court in St. Johnsbury Thursday.
Norrie is facing charges of first-degree murder and other offenses stemming from the September 2010 abduction and killing of 78-year-old Pat O'Hagan.
Last month, two of Norrie's cousins, 33-year-old Keith Baird and 27-year-old Richard Fletcher, pleaded not guilty to charges from the same case.
Police affidavits say O'Hagan was shot in the back of the head with a stolen pistol.
Before being charged in the O'Hagan case, all three suspects were in state or federal prison on other charges.MORE IN This Just InWASHINGTON — Congress ran full-tilt into election-year gridlock over immigration Thursday and... Full StoryREADSBORO — A longtime feud between neighbors may have led to an incident last month during which... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.