NJ man admits to cocaine saleApril 10,2014WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A reputed member of the Jersey Boys drug gang was released from jail Tuesday night with credit for time served after pleading guilty to selling cocaine last year in Springfield.
Joseph “Black” Atkinson, 19, entered his plea in White River Junction criminal court in exchange for a one-year sentence.
In February 2013 a woman told police that Atkinson and two other teenagers from New Jersey barged into her house, took a safe with more than $4,000 in it, and forced her at gunpoint to give them a ride to Springfield.
Much of the case against Atkinson and the other two was thrown out when a judge suppressed large parts of the evidence from the traffic stop in which they were arrested and the subsequent police investigation.
The charge remaining in Atkinson’s plea deal involved selling $100 worth of crack cocaine to a police informant in Springfield.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.