NJ man admits to cocaine saleApril 10,2014WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A reputed member of the Jersey Boys drug gang was released from jail Tuesday night with credit for time served after pleading guilty to selling cocaine last year in Springfield.
Joseph “Black” Atkinson, 19, entered his plea in White River Junction criminal court in exchange for a one-year sentence.
In February 2013 a woman told police that Atkinson and two other teenagers from New Jersey barged into her house, took a safe with more than $4,000 in it, and forced her at gunpoint to give them a ride to Springfield.
Much of the case against Atkinson and the other two was thrown out when a judge suppressed large parts of the evidence from the traffic stop in which they were arrested and the subsequent police investigation.
The charge remaining in Atkinson’s plea deal involved selling $100 worth of crack cocaine to a police informant in Springfield.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?