Not only is reducing Woodstock Avenue down to one lane heading west and one lane heading east with a turning lane in the center a bad idea, but it shows how out of touch the state and politicians are with what are much more important pressing issues that need to be addressed first.
A bike lane is the state’s priority?
With the city’s water, sewer and property taxes soaring up and out of control, the fact that you can’t find an average job, let alone a good job in the city. The condition of the existing streets is hideous. The state is worried about a bike lane being installed on one of the busiest routes in the state.
I live on a dead-end street off from Woodstock Avenue, and with the four lanes, it is sometimes impossible to pull out onto Woodstock. It would have been intelligent if whoever in Montpelier thought of this half-baked idea would have actually checked with tax-paying residents who will be impacted by this action.
Hopefully those who thought of this bike lane idea will suffer from the backlash and not be re-elected their next time around.
RutlandMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.