Man rescued and safe from middle of Black River in SpringfieldApril 15,2014Susan Smallheer / Staff Photo
Rescue crews prepare to go in the river after a man, seen in background, stuck on a rock in the middle of the river in Springfield.SPRINGFIELD - Rescue crews from Springfield and Hartford's swiftwater rescue team Tuesday morning saved a young man from the middle of the Black River, after he apparently jumped off the Fellows footbridge into the river and got stuck on a rock in the middle.
Springfield's fire department does not have a swiftwater rescue team and thus called in Hartford.
At one point a man who said he was the young man's father arrived at the scene and he was quickly interviewed by police.
Firefighters were stationed on different islands nearby but this stretch of the river is treacherous ; rescuers were afraid the man may have hypothermia. The rescue was quick; the man was placed on a stretcher and taken away in an ambulance.
We will update this as soon as we have more information.MORE IN This Just InRep. Peter Fagan faces a challenge from James Candon. Full StoryMANCHESTER — Voters will have some choices among an incumbent, a returning veteran, and a few... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1871, After long summer drought comes simultaneous devastating upper Midwest wildfires; Chicago city center in ruins; in 1967, after brief firefight, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara captured alive in Bolivian jungle camp.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City aldermen discuss future of recreation department facilities, three bears killed in interstate crash, town school principal rewards students' good reading habits, fight at city jail sends a man to hospital.