Fair Haven student charged in assaultsApril 17,2014A 17-year-old Fair Haven High School student is facing criminal charges for sexually assaulting one teenage girl and assaulting another.
Robert W. Richardson, of Castleton, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court this month to a felony charge of sexually assaulting a victim under the age of 16 and a misdemeanor count of domestic assault against another girl.
Richardson, who appeared in court on citations, remains free on court ordered conditions that include that he have no unsupervised contact with females under the age of 16 and that he abide by all restrictions placed on him by the FHUHS principal.
In affidavits written by Fair Haven Police and an investigator with the Special Investigation Unit in Rutland, which handles sex crimes, police say Richardson sexually assaulted one girl last summer and both verbally and physically abused another during the fall.
One of the girls told police that Richardson referred to her as his “property” and he could do with her what he wanted.
If convicted of both charges, Richardson faces up to 21 years in jail.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Gov. Peter Shumlin announces demise of his single-payer health insurance initiative; convicted first-degree murderer Alan Prue sentenced to 50 years for killing teacher Melissa Jenkins; veterans chafed about park naming snub.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 497 BC, first Saturnalia festival celebrated in Rome, Scandinavians retain 'Yule Goat' as symbol of season, Krampus, evil side of holiday cheer, terrorizes children into better behavior, more advice from Christopher Hitchens.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 533 AD, Byzantine Emperor Justinian I gets the old empire back together again routing the Vandals from Carthage; in 1890, Lakota Chief Sitting Bull is killed at his home in South Dakota; in 1970, Soviets land probe on Venus.
- DUANE CARLETON: Rutland Herald Events Editor George Nostrand interviews musician Duane Carleton, whose new CD 'A GIRL LIKE THAT' drops Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, and will be celebrated that evening with a show at 9:30 p.m. at Killington's Pickle Barrel.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Sigisimund, king of Hungary, creates Order of the Dragon to defend the West against Ottoman Turks; Chong Ho escorts 300 virgins to China; J. Bruce Ismay born this day, built Titanic, gets free trip, does not go down with the ship.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Storm takes out power for 60,000 Vermonters; state gets $33M to fund pre-K education; Springfield board OKs fund to demolish blighted buildings, voters have final say; George Nostrand runs down coming events.