Searchers find man with dementia in woodsApril 18,2014Searchers find
lost man in woods
WEST WINDSOR — Volunteer firefighters searched through the woods and found an elderly West Windsor resident who suffers from dementia after he wandered away from his home Thursday morning.
The West Windsor Volunteer Fire Department along with police and an ambulance crew from Windsor were called out at 9:30 a.m. to form a search party on Weeden Hill Road.
Fire Chief Mike Spackman said at that point it had already been a little more than two hours since any family member had last seen the 80-year-old man, so searchers cast a wide net.
“We had a bunch of people going in different directions because of the time difference,” Spackman said, noting, “He was not really properly attired for the conditions. It was 20 degrees.”
“We found him in the woods less than a half a mile from his house,” Spackman said. The successful search effort took only about 45 minutes until the man, who was not identified, was found unharmed.
“The ambulance people checked him out and we returned him home,” Spackman said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.