Searchers find man with dementia in woodsApril 18,2014Searchers find
lost man in woods
WEST WINDSOR — Volunteer firefighters searched through the woods and found an elderly West Windsor resident who suffers from dementia after he wandered away from his home Thursday morning.
The West Windsor Volunteer Fire Department along with police and an ambulance crew from Windsor were called out at 9:30 a.m. to form a search party on Weeden Hill Road.
Fire Chief Mike Spackman said at that point it had already been a little more than two hours since any family member had last seen the 80-year-old man, so searchers cast a wide net.
“We had a bunch of people going in different directions because of the time difference,” Spackman said, noting, “He was not really properly attired for the conditions. It was 20 degrees.”
“We found him in the woods less than a half a mile from his house,” Spackman said. The successful search effort took only about 45 minutes until the man, who was not identified, was found unharmed.
“The ambulance people checked him out and we returned him home,” Spackman said.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.