SVC names graduation speakerApril 21,2014Staff Report
BENNINGTON — Jane Altes, former vice president for academic affairs and interim president of Empire State College, and Daniel B. Ginsberg, former assistant secretary of the Air Force, will be the commencement speakers at Southern Vermont College on May 10.
College President Karen Gross said Altes and Ginsberg have encouraged civic engagement through government service and through their own community service work.
“Education’s mission, above all else, is to develop thoughtful and engaged citizens in our democratic process,” Gross said. “These two individuals are the embodiment of that mission, serving our nation with extraordinary talent, honor and pride.”
Altes is a private consultant in higher education developing and managing research and administrative projects.
Ginsberg was the official responsible for the overall supervision of manpower and reserve component affairs of the Air Force which included oversight of the Community College of the Air Force and the Air Force Academy.
After they are awarded the honorary degree of humane letters, Altes and Ginsberg will each briefly address the graduating class.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.