SVC names graduation speakerApril 21,2014Staff Report
BENNINGTON — Jane Altes, former vice president for academic affairs and interim president of Empire State College, and Daniel B. Ginsberg, former assistant secretary of the Air Force, will be the commencement speakers at Southern Vermont College on May 10.
College President Karen Gross said Altes and Ginsberg have encouraged civic engagement through government service and through their own community service work.
“Education’s mission, above all else, is to develop thoughtful and engaged citizens in our democratic process,” Gross said. “These two individuals are the embodiment of that mission, serving our nation with extraordinary talent, honor and pride.”
Altes is a private consultant in higher education developing and managing research and administrative projects.
Ginsberg was the official responsible for the overall supervision of manpower and reserve component affairs of the Air Force which included oversight of the Community College of the Air Force and the Air Force Academy.
After they are awarded the honorary degree of humane letters, Altes and Ginsberg will each briefly address the graduating class.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.