Marjorie June Smith SoineApril 25,2014Marjorie June Smith Soine
Marjorie June Smith Soine was called home to the Lord on Sunday afternoon, April 20, 2014.
June was born at home at 51 Church Street in Rutland on March 3, 1923, daughter of Burton F. and Marjorie (Eaton) Smith.
She attended Rutland Schools and graduated from Rutland High School, a member of the class of 1941. June went on to attend Dean Junior College in Franklin, Ma.
June married Dr. Peter Soine on October 24, 1952, and moved to Cleveland, Ohio, where he had his practice and she worked in banking. In 1970, June and Peter returned to Vermont, where they revitalized and made their home at Grand View Farm in Clarendon.
Quiet in demeanor, June was very passionate about many people and events in her life. She was a member of DAR, Phyllis Chapter #56 Order of the Eastern Star and the Rutland County Humane Society. One of her greatest joys was singing with several other ladies at local nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
June is survived by nephews John Kearton, Mobile, Alabama; David Kearton, Mobile Alabama; Jon Caverly, Manchester, N.H.; Jefferson S. Caverly, Thousand Oaks, Calif.; Nathaniel Caverly, Framingham, Mass.; nieces Margie Congdon, North Clarendon, Martha Caverly, Portsmouth, N.H.; several grandchildren, great grand children, many great grand nieces, nephews and cousins.
We cannot forget her extended family at the Meadows: Kristi, Abbi, Kendra, Stacey and many others, including the resident mascot, Nutmeg. The care that you extended was done with loving care and will not be forgotten.
June was predeceased by her parents; husband Peter, daughters Mary Ann Stratton and Jacqueline Coburn.
There will be no calling hours, but the family knows that June would be pleased if folks took the time to do something with family members. Enjoy being with those that you love.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Rutland County Humane Society, 765 Stevens Road, Pittsford, VT 05763.
There will be a private graveside service at the family lot on Saturday, April 26, 2014.
Arrangements are under the direction of Tossing Funeral Home.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1871, After long summer drought comes simultaneous devastating upper Midwest wildfires; Chicago city center in ruins; in 1967, after brief firefight, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara captured alive in Bolivian jungle camp.