Police: Beer, child in suspect's carApril 25,2014Police say a Bennington woman arrested for drunken driving had an open beer bottle in her car’s cup holder and her 6-year-old son in the backseat.
Nichole Shepard, 33, will appear in Bennington criminal court May 12 to face charges of drunken driving, second offense, as well as reckless endangerment of a child, according to Vermont State Police.
Trooper Elliott Justinger said he pulled Shepard’s vehicle over on Route 7 at the intersection of Route 313E near the border of Sunderland and East Arlington around 8:45 p.m. Wednesday.
The trooper said he “smelled a strong odor of intoxicants” coming from the vehicle and saw an open beer bottle in the cup holder. Shepard was arrested after field sobriety tests, the trooper added.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!