Police: Beer, child in suspect's carApril 25,2014Police say a Bennington woman arrested for drunken driving had an open beer bottle in her car’s cup holder and her 6-year-old son in the backseat.
Nichole Shepard, 33, will appear in Bennington criminal court May 12 to face charges of drunken driving, second offense, as well as reckless endangerment of a child, according to Vermont State Police.
Trooper Elliott Justinger said he pulled Shepard’s vehicle over on Route 7 at the intersection of Route 313E near the border of Sunderland and East Arlington around 8:45 p.m. Wednesday.
The trooper said he “smelled a strong odor of intoxicants” coming from the vehicle and saw an open beer bottle in the cup holder. Shepard was arrested after field sobriety tests, the trooper added.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?