Hartford girls tennis hikes mark to 2-1April 26,2014GIRLS TENNIS
Hartford 6, Bellows Falls 1
WHITE RIVER JCT. — The Hurricanes climbed to 2-1 on the season after sweeping the singles agaisnt the Terriers.
There were two tough matches there. At No. 1, Kali Covell outlasted BF’s Alex Harris 6-4, 5-7, 10-7, and at No. 4, the Hurricanes’ Amanda Nelson took a 6-2, 3-6, 10-6 win over the Terriers’ Quinn Lawrence.
In other singles, Ashley Fogg beat McKenzie Brandon 6-2, 6-3, Christine Miller beat Taylor Westfall 6-1, 6-1 and Marian Palmer defeated Reghan Lapinski 6-3, 6-2.
Colleen McDermott and Casey Ostler gave Hartford a doubles win over Tessa Bynorth and Keisha Wilcox, 6-0, 6-1, then BF’s Elli Guyon and Norah Bright beat Summer Parkhurst and Pearl MacLeod 6-0, 6-0.
Hartford will visit Brattleboro on Tuesday.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.