Man accused of robbing bank twice in a weekApril 29,2014The Associated Press
ST. ALBANS - A Vermont man has been arraigned on federal charges of robbing a bank.
Police said the People's United Bank in St. Albans was robbed twice last week. A man jumped over the counter both times to take money from two bank drawers.
The St. Albans Messenger reports (http://bit.ly/1khFJOz) he escaped with over $2,100 Monday and nearly $3,000 Thursday. In that robbery, a bank security guard tackled the man.
In the second robbery, the suspect was wearing a sweatshirt with eyeholes cut into the hood. In the first, security footage showed eyeholes in the back of the suspect's hoodie.
Thirty-three-year-old Travis Merritt of St. Albans was arraigned Monday. An affidavit said he confessed to both robberies.
Merritt has been assigned a public defender and was scheduled for a hearing Tuesday.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.