Man accused of robbing bank twice in a weekApril 29,2014The Associated Press
ST. ALBANS - A Vermont man has been arraigned on federal charges of robbing a bank.
Police said the People's United Bank in St. Albans was robbed twice last week. A man jumped over the counter both times to take money from two bank drawers.
The St. Albans Messenger reports (http://bit.ly/1khFJOz) he escaped with over $2,100 Monday and nearly $3,000 Thursday. In that robbery, a bank security guard tackled the man.
In the second robbery, the suspect was wearing a sweatshirt with eyeholes cut into the hood. In the first, security footage showed eyeholes in the back of the suspect's hoodie.
Thirty-three-year-old Travis Merritt of St. Albans was arraigned Monday. An affidavit said he confessed to both robberies.
Merritt has been assigned a public defender and was scheduled for a hearing Tuesday.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.