Police resume search for man missing since JanuaryThe Associated Press | May 06,2014PAWLET - Vermont and New York crews are searching along the banks of the Mettawee River near the border of the two states trying to find a 23-year-old man who has been missing since January.
Warm weather is making it possible today for dive teams and other officials from both states to participate in the search in Pawlet, Vermont, and Granville, N.Y.
More than 30 New York State Police recruits will be assisting with the ground search.
Jonathan Schaff was last seen early on Jan. 18 walking on Route 149 near the New York-Vermont line. Police say he had been involved in a fight in a Granville bar and suffered a head injury and broken glasses.
State Police from both states will continue to investigate along with the Granville Police Department.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.