Evil prevails when good people do nothing. A wonderful slogan and so true.
Good people have been doing good things in Rutland to address the bad press we have received lately. I would like to challenge us to pick up the baton and carry this good work even further so it stays the course and does not die.
Instead of looking at the word “epidemic,” can we look at the word “dysfunction?” When a family, city or government is not healthy, then it’s typically called dysfunctional. Dysfunction is a root cause of crime. As a society, it’s been our attitude that it’s someone else’s fault, not mine, when it is mine, ours. We have failed.
As the church, we need to get out of the building and love people. As parents, we need to lovingly train our children to become responsible citizens. As neighbors, we need to care about one another with acts of loving kindness.
It takes an entire community working together, in loving relationship, to be healthy and vibrant. Rutland is a great city. Start in your own neighborhood. It really is our responsibility.
RutlandMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.