Evil prevails when good people do nothing. A wonderful slogan and so true.
Good people have been doing good things in Rutland to address the bad press we have received lately. I would like to challenge us to pick up the baton and carry this good work even further so it stays the course and does not die.
Instead of looking at the word “epidemic,” can we look at the word “dysfunction?” When a family, city or government is not healthy, then it’s typically called dysfunctional. Dysfunction is a root cause of crime. As a society, it’s been our attitude that it’s someone else’s fault, not mine, when it is mine, ours. We have failed.
As the church, we need to get out of the building and love people. As parents, we need to lovingly train our children to become responsible citizens. As neighbors, we need to care about one another with acts of loving kindness.
It takes an entire community working together, in loving relationship, to be healthy and vibrant. Rutland is a great city. Start in your own neighborhood. It really is our responsibility.
RutlandMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.