Grants on hand for Irene victimsJune 10,2014Grants on hand
for Irene victims
SPRINGFIELD ó Two regional development groups in Vermont have been awarded $1.5 million in grants to help businesses recovering from Tropical Storm Irene.
Brattleboro Development Credit Corp. and Springfield Regional Development Corp. received the Community Development Block Grants for a second round of disaster recovery.
The Eagle Times reported that the development groups have provided grants for businesses affected by flooding since the August 2011 storm in Windham and Windsor counties. This funding is expected to assist with flood mitigation, engineering fees and insurance payments.
The groups have allocated about $1.25 million to 43 businesses since the storm. Businesses apply for the grants.MORE IN This Just InGarret Keizer, a contributing editor at Harperís magazine, had good reason for toiling a year as ... Full StoryMONTPELIER — Health care, economic development and the duties of the office are issues of... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1871, After long summer drought comes simultaneous devastating upper Midwest wildfires; Chicago city center in ruins; in 1967, after brief firefight, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara captured alive in Bolivian jungle camp.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City aldermen discuss future of recreation department facilities, three bears killed in interstate crash, town school principal rewards students' good reading habits, fight at city jail sends a man to hospital.