Clarendon man denies assaultJune 19,2014Man denies guilt in assault charges
A man charged with beating and kicking a woman in a Rutland parking lot denied a pair of charges in Rutland criminal court Monday.
John Christian Jr., 22, of Clarendon, pleaded innocent to misdemeanor counts of domestic assault and interfering with access to emergency services.
He was released on court-ordered conditions that include a restriction on having contact with the woman he allegedly assaulted.
Rutland police arrested Christian early Saturday morning after a woman told police he beat her in the parking lot adjacent to the former Blockbuster Video store.
The woman told police that Christian held her down on the trunk of a car shortly after 3:30 a.m. and punched and slapped her. He then allegedly threw her to the ground and kicked her.
The woman also told police that Christian has repeatedly threatened to kill her, and she said she was forced to run to a house for help.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.