As you all know, we are celebrating the Fourth of July, the anniversary of our Declaration of Independence. Many Americans are out and about, having cookouts, setting off fireworks and enjoying their lives.
But as much as Iíd like to wave a flag and have a grand olí time. I know that the land of the free has taken many steps in the wrong direction. In 2012 President Barack Obama signed into law the NDAA (National Defense Authorization Act). This act gave the U.S. government the right to indefinitely detain any U.S. citizen without trial, forever.
And even scarier, they donít even need to tell people that you have been taken. This is an egregious violation of our rights. President Obama pledged to shut down Gitmo, to repeal the Patriot Act, to pull us from Iraq. And he has barely achieved one.
And, as you know if you watch the news, troops are being sent back. So wave your flags and set off your fireworks. Your rights continue to slip away.
CavendishMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.