I had my first vacation day in the city of Rutland. Saturday, July 5, was supposed to be a work day for me. I am a self-employed barber here in Rutland, so I rarely take a Saturday off. Usually just for big events, weddings, funerals, graduations, etc.
Took the long weekend because I had a close childhood friend up from Tennessee. Jeri, my wife, asked me to join her shopping at the farmers market in downtown Rutland, so I did. I had already known that the produce is good, but I never personally experienced the place before.
We had a great time. Itís not just a place to buy stuff, itís also a great social event. A vast variety of vendors offer many foods and other products. Because of my work schedule, I probably wonít be able to go to the market myself very often, but the day made me proud to be a lifelong Rutlander.
RutlandMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?